Saturday, September 15, 2012

week 4

This was, as usual, an interesting week at school.  I had an incident with one of our most behaviorally challenged kids and his sister in which they thought their mother had died.  I ended up, along with 2 other teachers, going with the students to their mother's house to check on her.  Luckily, she was fine.  The mother told her son that he now knew how she felt when he was running the streets at night.  It made me realize that even though many staff members, and justifiably so, view this student as a behavior problem, he really is just a kid that cares about his mother.  I, also, called my mom soon afterwards to let her know how much I appreciate her! 

2 comments:

  1. It would have been nice if some of the student's teachers could have participated in the home visit. It is wonderful that counselors can make the connections between a student's home life and what is going on in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, the son does realize how his mother feels when he’s out and doesn’t inform her about where he is or who he is with at the time. In a sense, I hope that their behavior does change for the better as a result of this scare. It’s a frightening thought to think about your parents passing away. A few years ago, my mother became very ill and almost died from the blood clots, infections, and ulcer colitis. It was truly a scary situation that I don’t wish to encounter again.

    ReplyDelete